THE SECRET TO A STRONGER AND HAPPIER MARRIED LIFE

As I woke up this morning, I was thinking of what to write. Hmm… well, might as well share something that will benefit all couples out there.

Glen and I had a whirlwind romance before we got married in 2012. Some even doubted that we would last. As we all know, most of us say that you should take time to know someone before getting married. But how long does it take for us to know someone?  I remember watching an old couple’s interview. They even said that after 25 years of being married, they are still surprised to find out something about their spouse.

Glen is older by 14 years but our age gap never became an issue. Actually, I am thankful for that. I can’t imagine marrying someone my age with my mood swings and pride ( yup, I whole heartedly admit that!). I am just glad that we both clicked and I can say we are compatible in so many ways.

If you’ll ask what’s our secret of being happy together, I’ll share you my own personal tips!

• Respect. We argue, discuss, debate. Luckily, we never had any serious topics (yet). You’ll actually laugh about it when you find out what we argued about. We even argue the smallest things like what to eat! But we never ever cuss at each other… never. We never say things that will totally hurt each other. We tried to fix things before going to sleep. Though I admit maybe there were 2 instances that I slept over it and it felt horrible.
    • Another thing, I never check his phone. Well, it is maybe because we never had issues of hiding anything from each other. I even sometimes ask him to check my mail while I’m  cooking or he even let me answer his phone while he’s doing something as well.
    • We sometimes need some “me time” especially when I do my blog.  We give each other some space like allowing each other to go out with friends and do our own thing.

• Love and Affection. Yes, show some love love love. In our 5 years of togetherness, we never fail to say the magic words — “I’m hungry” oops, I mean “I love you”. We always kiss good morning and good night and when he brings me to work. We give a lot of hugs and even hold hands when we walk. He even holds my hand while he’s driving. He sometimes surprise me with little things, like grabbing my favorite Lindt truffles or sending me some flowers to work. I also put a sweet note on his coffee cup as well.
  • Fun. Make the marriage fun but inexpensive. We seldom eat in a fine dining restaurants however, we both love to stroll. Just driving along Las Vegas Strip while playing our favorite music makes us happy. We go to Red Rock or Lake Las Vegas and sometimes bring our dogs too. We enjoy eating ice cream or watching movies. We even just sometimes stay home and watch tv, play Jenga or Monopoly, cook together and clean the house together. I am not sure if this sounds fun to you but that’s how we are. Find something that you both really like doing.
  • Communication. We talk about anything. How our day was, what we ate over lunch, work, politics, traffic, anything. We even talk about his crush, Jennifer Lopez and my crushes, Chris Hemsworth and Channing Tatum. Sometimes, when we lay to bed at night, I ask him to just not switch the tv on and we’ll talk some serious things like our finances, house hunting, having kids and if we had a little argument, we also just talk it over.

Every relationship is different, whether,  you’ve met when you were 10, or just last night, the span is not important but compatibility is. With love, everything follows. From respect, happiness and contentment. Whether you eat on a fine dining everyday or just stay home all day, it doesn’t matter. What matters is you both are there for each other. Argument is the spice of married life, it is up to us if it will be just a spice or it will lament a scar forever.

As for me, I know I have married my best friend. We can be annoying each other sometimes but at the end of the day, I know we’re both grateful to have each other’s back. Feel free to share your married life and what’s your secret for a long and lasting relationship! ‘Til next time!

35 comments

1. Stephie says:

I am married for 7 years and we feel like we are still in honeymooner stage. I am older than him by 3 years and yes, I agree, it has never been an issue as long as you’re compatible

• anne.wright says:

I am glad to hear that! I totally agree that age doesn’t really matter (for me). And yes, as long as you’re compatible and happy with each other, that all that matters, right? I wish you more happiness, Stephie!

2. Author Brandi Kennedy says:

Aww, I love the way you describe your marriage! It sounds like everything I want me someday marriage to be – fights and all. I’ve found over the years that communication really is the key to a healthy relationship – the problem is finding someone as willing to be as vulnerable as I am.

But he’s out there. Somewhere.

• anne.wright says:

Brandi, fate is still preparing both of you. Believe me. I almost lose hope haha. It is true that it comes when you least expect it. Actually I already did lose hope and preparing myself to be single for life when I met him. :p I’ll tell you a secret, my ideal marrying age as I planned was 24! I got married at 31! Your time will come for that. You just have to claim it! 🙂 Take care!

3. Megan says:

Marriage is hard work! Communication is CRUCIAL, without that and trust the whole thing will fall apart very quickly.

• anne.wright says:

It’s a lifetime commitment and yes both should put effort to make marriage work. Communication is CRUCIAL- it can be most especially when one is not willing to listen nor speak up.

I gotta agree. It is hard when TRUST has been broken. Honestly, that’s what I was telling my husband when we were like on our first year. Never break my trust if he wants this marriage to last. It is not because of his doing but I just know myself better. 🙂

4. Erin Maycroft says:

You are right on. Communication is such an important part of any relationship. I’m happy you have found someone to make you happy! And PS, my hubby is 13 years older than me so I understand that whole age gap thing 😉

5. jenjen says:

Definitely! Love and affection! A simple Goodmorning Mylove goes a long way! Never miss a single kiss in a day and ILOVEYOU

6. Blair villanueva says:

Thanks for sharing us your tips for a happy marriage. I think as longbas you both laugh on your own jokes is still an indication that you bith are still happily connected to your marriage.

7. stacey says:

Yes, these are all great tips. I am 8 years older than my husband, we’ve been married for 21+ years. We met and married after 6 months and we still keep finding out about each other to this day. Age does eventually catch up with you though… it takes some patience and understanding.

8. David Elliott says:

Congratulations about making it so long. That’s great that you have found so many great things to appreciate about each other. I’m with you on the respect being such a big bedrock to the relationship. It is essential.

9. Rosey says:

Great post on marriage. For some it is hard but him being your best friend makes it easier. I too am engaged too my best friend and love how we have great communication and similar interests.

10. Solomon Deprofio says:

I have not checked in here for some time as I thought it was getting boring, but the last few posts are great quality so I guess I will add you back to my everyday bloglist. You deserve it my friend 🙂

11. Romeo Moten says:

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you design this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz respond as I’m looking to design my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. kudos